Friends and Adventure
Friends; we all want to make them but it can be a little intimidating. U of M as a whole stresses the importance of making good connections and tries to help by setting up icebreakers. I AM SO OVER ICEBREAKERS!!! They are so awkward and forced."Hi, I'm Chloe. Milly, Nice to meet you! Freshman? Me too. Library Sciences and Museum Curation, yeah, I'm really excited about it. Well, that's cool too, you have plenty of time to decide. So where are you from? Huh, never heard of it. Jackson (this one varies, if they are from Michigan they ask where Jackson is, if they are from out of state they hesitantly ask, "Michigan?") it's about 45 minutes west of here. Yeah, really convenient. (awkward pause as we both try to think of things to say) Well, It was nice meeting you but I think I'm going to keep mingling, bye" All the while smiling and throw in a few polite laughs... now multiply that by fifty and you understand why I am over icebreakers. Plus, I rarely remember names. I would also like to know how many people have meet their lifelong best friends from icebreakers? Not that many!
But, aside from that, I have made a very solid friend group in my hall and joined a few clubs to expand the circle. My roommate is spectacular, we get along really well. I know that there are many great adventures in my future!
Adventure; everyone who went to college has stories of that one time that they and their friends did that one thing... I am very proud to say that I have had quite a few of those experiences myself. For example, Antoinette and I had to run/fast walk to Shapiro to return movies and it led to quite an adventure. A few nights ago there was this drunk guy who jumped off the Mojo overhang and the police and ambulance showed up, that was interesting (I guess it was one of those new experiences people are always talking about). In the picture above two of my friends and I went to ArtPrize in Grand Rapids where I was involved in the luminary sculpture parade. People watching really liked my book which made me very proud.
Community
In eighth grade my class took a field trip to the Museum of Natural History and then took a tour of the campus. I was not impressed. We didn't get to see inside any of the buildings and U of M is in the middle of a city. I thought it was really lacking in a sense of community and togetherness. I did not feel welcome and I didn't feel like I knew anything about what the campus looked like. So when I finally got here I was happy to discover such a large community. Over all, we are very proud of U of M and we aren't afraid to show it. We have a connection on days that bring the campus together, like game days. Then there are the smaller communities, like Alice Lloyd, within the larger campus community. I never feel like "only a number" here, which is great. I love U of M, its my home away from home.
Study Abroad
Although hard to see, that is my Spanish textbook and dictionary. I am studying Spanish with the hope that I can study abroad one summer. I really want to go to a Spanish speaking country for one semester, that way I can really nail down and internalize Spanish. After I go to a Spanish speaking country then I want to study in Ireland for a semester. I also plan to take advantage of the Michigan in Washington program so that I can get an internship at the Library of Congress, my dream job!There is so much that Michigan offers in the way of global awareness and I want to take advantage of it!

No comments:
Post a Comment