Sunday, October 6, 2013

Suggestions

Books
  • Howl's Moving Castle by Dianna Wynne Jones - This is one of my all time favorite books! It has a
    very whimsical style and the story line is just spectacular. I love the characters, they are all fantastic. The basic plot line is that in the land of Ingary, magic exists. Sophie lives in the town of Market chipping where, due to unintended events, she gets cursed to look like an old woman. So she leaves home and ends up as a house keeper for the Wizard Howl, a horribly messy and spontaneous man, and his fire demon, Calicifer. The book has a witty voice and I laugh when I read it. The truly spectacular part about the writing style is the way it all comes together at the end. Hayao Miyazaki made this book into an anime movie which is also good but many of the plot points change. I would recommend watching and reading the book, they are both good but, of course, the book is better.

  • Divergent series by Veronica Roth - I like Divergent because the main character is so real. She
    doesn't just blindly rush into things and it works out great, she thinks through her ideas and has doubts. She experiences relatable emotions and she changes throughout her experiences. The basic story line is that in a dystopian society, set in the not so distant future of Chicago, people have been separated into five different categories. They are allowed to choose their faction at sixteen. After Tess, the main character, chooses her faction she must live with her choice and try to make her way in the challenging initiation process. As I said the character is very relatable and it is a great read. Who knows how the new movie will be but the book is going to be better, I can guarantee it.

  • The Bourne Series by Robert Ludlum - This is such a good suspense series. I listen to them on tape 
    and the reader, Scott Brick, is spectacular! I love listening to him and the book will put you on the
    edge of your seat. Basically about an elite hit man who loses his memory and is on the run from the men who think he turned traitor and the man he was trying to catch originally. I recommend the audio because, yes, the narrator is great but also, it keeps the book moving. There are a lot of parts with just political discussion and I appreciate them when they are read to me but, they are hard to get through when reading.

  • Framed (audio) - This book is just hilarious. My family listened to it on the way back from Maine, it's
    a sixteen hour drive made fun with this book on tape. The book itself will make you laugh out loud but the narrator is Scottish so the accent is a bonus. The story is about a family who live in a little Welsh town. Dylan, the youngest son, is the main character and the story focuses on his adventures once the towns mining facility is turned into a secure location to keep priceless painting from the Louvre, which is under maintenance. A year or two ago I discovered it was a movie and I was really excited, but it stunk. I mean it was horrible! So, stick with the book.

  • Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan - Most of you have probably already
    heard of this one since it is a very popular book but, hey, I'm going to recommend it anyway because you might not have read it. I love this book series! It is phenomenal. The character voice is so strong and the characters are hysterical. I laugh out loud when I read these books and most of them I've read more than once. The basic idea here is that the Greek myths are real in present day America. Mt. Olympus is floating above the Empire State Building and demigods (part god, part mortal) exist. One such demigod is our hero, Percy Jackson. He and his two friends go on many a high stakes adventure full of humor but also  full of relatable struggles of growing up and just life in general. The nice thing about this series is that it isn't just a funny story about a boy who never changes. Each book shows change and if you compare the fifth and first book there is an obvious difference. He is still funny but more mature, the author did a great job in the character arc.

  • Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling - Yet another popular book you have all heard about and should read.
    Now, you might not like them, and that is okay, but you should still try reading the first book. It is a great plot with witty, intelligent characters and a fantastic voice. The writing style is something I strive to emulate in my own way. I really appreciate how the seventh books draws everything together, even little details you thought were just there for the entertainment value. I love this series and it is still one of my favorite books series of all time. "Eh, I watched the movie, why bother. I mean, how much better could the book really be." The book is ten times better and the movies were not that good. The Harry Potter in the books is much funnier and more enjoyable than the Harry in the movies. Plus, you get to meet more engaging, villainous, or annoying characters and appreciate Rowling's stellar writing.
These are only a few of the books that popped into my head right off the bat. If you are interested in any of these book check them out on Amazon. It gives a better summary and you can usually get the first few pages free.

1 comment:

  1. Like most people at this school, I absolutely love Harry Potter and would also recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it out. The Framed audio book also sounds very funny.

    ReplyDelete