I don't know if I'm going to be able to do this justice. I truly loved the end of this book. I love the change in Kambili and even though it is so cliche it was like watching a caterpillar transform into a butterfly. She
becomes a strong and beautiful woman who has learned how to make her own decisions. I finished this book feeling very hopeful and happy. I was saddened by Jaja's transformation but I loved his character development. I believe that he gets out of jail and I hope that he heals. I love the passage on page 305, "I want to hold his hand, but I know he will shake it free. His eyes are too full of guilt to really see me, to see his reflection in my eyes, the reflection of my hero, the brother who tried always to protect me the best he could. He will never think that he did
enough, and he will never understand that I do not think he should have done more." I think it is a wonderful insight into Jaja's character. He is so racked by guilt because he doesn't think he was sufficient, as if he should have tried harder. Kambili doesn't think that at all though. Another part I really liked at the end was on page 303, "We are not rivals, God and I, we are simply sharing. I no longer wonder if I have a right to love Father Amadi; I simply go ahead and love him." I think that section shows how much Kambili has grown. She has learned to love and to decide things for herself. I loved the end passage, I think it so wonderfully wraps everything up and leaves the reader feeling hopeful. I recommend this book to anyone looking for a great read.


No comments:
Post a Comment